|Revision date: 10 June
Regarding Governor Douglas and land pre-emptions
The date should be 1860 not 1869.
In Chapter 3, on page 72, the original text read:
As early as January 4,
1869, Governor Douglas had issued a proclamation which permitted any
British subject the right to enter on and pre-empt land, not exceeding
160 acres, by planting a post at one corner and giving a description
of the land to the Chief Commissioner of Lands and Works.
This error is no doubt a typo.
Governor James Douglas retired in 1863.
And, in 1860, the Chief Commissioner of Lands and Works was Richard
Clement Moody, Captain, Royal Engineers.
Thank you, Simon Sherwood.
Click here to return to Chapter 3,
page 72, or if you wish to read the following there will another
link to return you to where you came from.
Between 2 December 1858 and 1 June 1870, thirteen
proclamations pertaining to pre-emption and land rights were issued.
The following is, in part, the 3rd, issued by then Governor James
Douglas, on 4 January 1860:
January 4, 1860:
WHEREAS, by virtue of an Act of Parliament made and passed in
the 21st and 22nd years of the Reign of Her Most Gracious Majesty the
Queen, and by a Commission under the Great Seal of the United Kingdom
of Great Britain and Ireland, in conformity therewith I, JAMES
DOUGLAS, Governor of the Colony of British Columbia, have been
authorized by Proclamation issued under the Public Seal of the said
Colony, to make laws, institutions, and ordinances, for the peace and
good government of the same, and
WHEREAS, it is expedient, pending the operation of the survey of
agricultural lands in British Columbia, to provide means whereby
unsurveyed agricultural lands may be lawfully acquired by pre- emption
in British Columbia by British subjects, and in certain cases to
provide for the sale of unsurveyed agricultural land in British
Columbia by private contract;
Now, therefore, I, James Douglas, Governor of British Columbia,
by virtue of the authority aforesaid, do proclaim, order and enact.
1. That from and after the date hereof, British subjects and
aliens who shall take the oath of allegiance to Her Majesty and Her
successors, may acquire unoccupied and unreserved, and unsurveyed
Crown land in British Columbia (not being the site of an existent or
proposed town, or auriferous land available for mining purposes, or an
Indian Reserve or settlement) in fee simple, under the following
. . . . .
3. Whenever the Government survey shall extend to the land
claimed, the claimant who has recorded his claim as aforesaid, or his
heirs or in case of the grant of certificate of improvement
hereinafter men- tioned, the assigns of such claimant shall, if he or
they shall have been in continuous occupation of the same land from
the date of the record aforesaid, be entitled to purchase the land so
pre-empted at such rate as may for the time being be fixed by the
Government of British Columbia, not exceeding the sum of 10s. per
. . . . .
13. Whenever a person in occupation at the time of record
aforesaid, shall have recorded as aforesaid, and he, his heirs or
assigns, shall have continued in permanent occupation of land
pre-empted, or of land purchased as aforesaid, he or they may, save as
hereinafter mentioned, bring ejectment or trespass against any
intruder upon the land so pre-empted or purchased, to the same extent
as if he or they were seized of the legal estate in possession in the
land so pre- empted or purchased.
14. Nothing herein contained shall be construed as giving a
right to any claimant to exclude free miners from searching for any of
the precious minerals, or working the same upon the conditions
The above quotation was found at
Click here to
return to Chapter 3, page 72
Revision date: 10 June 2004
Regarding John James Taylor
Said Tannis Pond on the Children of Fort Langley site:
In 1872 it was Fort Langley
hotel keeper James Taylor who prompted 29 land owners in the
Langley and Derby district to petition the authorities in Victoria
and request incorporation into a municipality.
James married Catherine
Fallardeau, the daughter of Narcisse Fallardeau and Helen/Ellen,
on the 26th of July
in 1858. This union produced seven children before Catherine died
in 1874. According to the gravestone in the Taylor Plot in the
Fort Langley Municipal Cemetery she was 33 years
After the death of
Catherine, James married Barbara Jamieson. This union produced no
In Chapter 3, on page 68, in
Birth of Langley Municipality, the original text
He was first married
to Barbara Jamieson ofAberdeenshire, Scotland, who bore him one son.
When she died in 1874 at the age of 33 he married Catherine Fallardeau,
the daughter of Narcisse Fallardeau and sister of Mrs. West, who bore
him another six.
The revised text reads:
He was first married to
Fallardeau, the daughter of Narcisse
Fallardeau and sister of Mrs. West, who bore him seven children.
When she died in 1874 at the age of 31, he married Barbara Jamieson who may been from Aberdeenshire,
Scotland. This union produced no children.
Source for new info:
Tannis Pond, descendant of John James Taylor and Narcisse
Thank you, Tannis
Click here to return
to Chapter 3, on page 68
date: 5 September 2000
Said Jane Cromarty via
William did not come to
Canada until 1843, but in the "First Ft.
Langley " section it reads "In 1830
William Cromarty came to the Fort as Chief
In Chapter 1, on page 12, in
the section subtitled First
Fort Langley, the original text
He and Yale then went to work
perfecting a method of curing salmon for the foreign
market. The fish curing industry at Fort
Langley, despite setbacks, went steadily ahead.
In 1830 William Cromarty came to the fort as
Chief Cooper. Another early cooper was James
Rendall who was forced to quit owing to ill health.
A good cooper could turn out 7-10 barrels a
The revised text reads:
He and Yale then went to
work perfecting a method of curing salmon for the
foreign market. The fish curing industry at
Fort Langley, despite setbacks, went steadily ahead.
A good cooper could turn out 7-10
barrels a week, but they didn't have a cooper.
McDonald prevailed upon the fort's carpenter to try,
even though he knew the carpenter had "never
made a keg in his life". In the three
weeks that followed, Francois Faniant turned out
fifteen 25 gallon barrels, with the help of Louis
Ossin and Louis Delonie. Faniant left the
fort in the summer of 1830. James Rendall, a
cooper from Evie, Orkney, arrived in 1831 but had to
quit due to ill health. Rendall's replacement
was replaced in turn by Chief Cooper William Cromarty
Sources for new info:
- Jane Cromarty
- Fort Langley Journals:
1827-30 edited by Morag Maclachlan
- Hudson Bay Company
Thank you, Jane.
Click here to return to Chapter 1, page